Protecting My Small Business During a Pandemic
Small business owners face a myriad of challenges when the economy shuts down due to a pandemic or other emergency. In this section, we provide links to articles discussing human resource issues, financial protection, business contracts, insurance, and more.
Reopening After COVID-19 Business Closure
What should your reopening strategy be? What safety measures should you keep in mind? What rules can you legally put in place? Can you get loan forgiveness? Should businesses be protected from COVID-19 lawsuits? Learn more here:
What Is an Essential Business?
Learn which businesses qualify as essential during stay-at-home orders, and which employees can continue working.
DIY For Small Businesses
Are there things you can do without a lawyer? Access DIY forms here:
From telecommuting to sick time, there are many human resource issues for small business owners to consider.
Managing Debt and Financial Challenges
With many businesses forced to temporarily shut their doors, financial uncertainty is the only sure thing. Here are some resources to help you protect your business in these stressful times.
- Help for Your Business During Financial Trouble
- COVID-19 Financial Resource Center for Small Businesses
- Options When You Can’t Pay Your Business Debts
- The Legal Drawbacks and Liabilities for Restaurants
- Ten Things to Think About Before Filing for Bankruptcy
Your Business and COVID-19
What legal issues does your business face? How can you prepare?
- Should Businesses Be Protected From COVID-19 Lawsuits?
- The Legal Drawbacks and Liabilities for Restaurants Under COVID-19
- Can Businesses Plan for the Next Pandemic?
Is your business contract still enforceable? How do force majeure clauses affect contracts during pandemics?
Small Business Insurance
Read these articles to understand your business insurance plans and how to make a business loss claim.
- Small Business Insurance Plans
- Making an Insurance Claim: Checklist
- What to Do If Your Business Insurance Claim Is Denied
- Is Business Interruption Insurance Valid for COVID-19?
For other small business legal issues and questions, please visit FindLaw.com’s small business law section. It is also a good time to consider consulting with a business lawyer near you. Many attorneys offer phone and video consultations.
Small Business COVID-19 Resource Center
Thomson Reuters provides crucial guidance on small business relief, including information on the Paycheck Protection Program.
Information for Lawyers
Visit FindLaw's page on COVID-19 resources for legal professionals.
More Coronavirus Articles
Get answers to your legal questions about COVID-19 in our coronavirus laws section.