Reopening My Small Business After COVID-19
Small business owners were presented with a challenge like none other with the COVID-19 pandemic, and as businesses begin to reopen across the nation, the challenges continue. This section provides links to articles discussing how to reopen while avoiding legal liability and financial pitfalls, from keeping customers and employees safe, to understanding what business insurance does and doesn't cover.
Keep checking back as new content will be added on an ongoing basis.
Business owners need to make sure all of their bases are covered when reopening in a post-COVID world. We have a five-step guide to help you create a reopening strategy that complies with the law and avoids liability, as well as other articles on practical issues such as if you can require customers to wear masks or choose to only accept credit card payments.
- How to Develop a Reopening Strategy That Avoids Liability
- No Shirt, No Mask, No Service?
- Is It Legal for Businesses to Refuse to Take Cash?
- COVID-19 Surcharges: Are They Legal?
From your employee handbook to mandatory PPE, there are many employee issues that business owners have to address before bringing workers back on site. These resources can help you bring your employees back on board safely and without exposing yourself to liability.
- Can Employees Be Fired For Revealing Positive COVID-19 Cases At Their Workplaces?
- Are Employers Required to Reimburse Employees While Working From Home?
- Safety Measures Small Businesses Should Keep in Mind When Reopening
- What Employers Need to Know About the Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- How to Update Your Employee Handbook After COVID-19
- Can Employers Require Employees to Test for COVID-19?
Finances and Debt
If you are a business owner, chances are that finances and debt are top of mind right now. These resources will help you find help if your business is experiencing financial trouble, and walk you through things to consider before taking a big step like filing for bankruptcy protection:
- Tax Changes Small Business Owners Should Be Aware of This Year
- Help for Your Business During Financial Trouble
- COVID-19 Financial Resource Center for Small Businesses
- Options When You Can't Pay Your Business Debts
- Ten Things to Think About Before Filing for Bankruptcy
- How to Comply With the Families First Coronavirus Response Act to Achieve Loan Forgiveness
- Are Small Businesses Being Audited for Compliance With PPP Terms?
- COVID-19 Surcharges: Are They Legal?
Many business owners wonder if they can be sued if a customer or employee is infected with the novel coronavirus at their business, and it's a valid concern to have. These resources help business owners weigh the risks and legal protection that exists:
- Should Businesses Be Protected From COVID-19 Lawsuits?
- The Legal Drawbacks and Liabilities for Restaurants Under COVID-19
- Can a Customer Sue for Being Infected with COVID-19 at a Business?
COVID-19 has caused unprecedented business interruptions on an international level. These resources help you understand if your business contracts will still be enforced and how to make contracts "pandemic-proof" in the future.
Read these articles to understand your business insurance plans and how to make a business loss claim.
- Is Business Interruption Insurance Valid for COVID-19?
- Does Business Insurance Cover Losses From COVID-19?
- Why You Should Look at Your Business Insurance Policy Differently After COVID-19
- Small Business Insurance Plans
- Making an Insurance Claim: Checklist
- What to Do If Your Business Insurance Claim Is Denied
- Can Businesses Plan for the Next Pandemic?
For other small business legal issues and questions, please visit FindLaw.com's small business law section. It is also a good time to consider consulting with a business lawyer near you. Many attorneys offer phone and video consultations.
- Thomson Reuters' COVID-19 Resource Center for Small Businesses
- COVID-19 resources for legal professionals
- Articles featuring Super Lawyers selectees (search for COVID-19)
- Recursos en Español